Special Educational Needs

Definition of SEN

“A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her. A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty if he or she:
(a) Has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age; or
(b) Has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools.”
(SEN Code of Practice 2014)

Definition of disability

Many children and young people who have SEN may also have a disability under the Equality Act 2010 – that is “…a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities”.
(SEN Code of Practice 2014)

The kinds of special educational need for which provision is made

At St Botolph’s we can make provision for every kind of frequently occurring special educational need without a statement of special educational needs / Education, Health and Care Plan. These include learning difficulties, speech, language and communication needs, autistic spectrum disorders, and social and emotional needs. There are other kinds of special educational need which do not occur as frequently and with which the school is less familiar, but we can access training and advice so that these kinds of needs can also be met.

The school can also meet the needs of pupils with a statement of special educational need / Education, Health and Care plan with the following kinds of special educational need: ASD, SLCN, and MLD. Decisions on the admission of pupils with a statement of special educational need / Education, Health and Care plan are made by the Local Authority.

The admission arrangements for pupils without a statement of special educational needs / Education, Health and Care Plan do not discriminate against or disadvantage disabled children or those with special educational needs.

Click below to read our full SEN Policy

The contact details of support services for the parents of pupils with SEN

Kent Parent Partnership Service (KPPS) provides free, impartial, confidential, advice, support and options around educational issues for parents who have children with special educational needs or disabilities (0-19). They empower parents to play an active and informed role in their child’s education. They can be contacted on:

HELPLINE: 03000 41 3000
Office: 0300 333 6474
Minicom: 0300 333 6484
E-mail: kentparentpartnershipservice@kent.gov.uk

Information on where the local authority’s local offer is published. The local authority’s local offer is published on kent.gov.uk Parents without internet access can make an appointment with the SENCO for support to gain the information they require.