Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)

Special Education Needs (SEN)

Lots of children will have special needs of some kind during their education.  At St Botolph’s we can help most children succeed with some changes to practice or some additional support.  Children may need extra help because of a range of needs.  Some will need this help for a short time and some will need this for longer.


Many children who have special educational needs may also have a disability.  A disability is ‘a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term (a year or more) and substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day to day activities’.


If we think your child has special educational needs or a disability, we will talk to you to see what you think and gather more information.  We will also discuss any beneficial support.

If you think your child has any type of difficulty, you should talk to us – start with your class teacher.  Ask for an appointment to see them at a convenient time.  Then you will be able to have a private discussion and not feel rushed.

At St Botolph’s we also have a teacher who is the SEN Co-ordinator (SENCo) and Inclusion Manager and you might want to talk to her too.  Her name is Janet Harding.  She works part time but can be contacted via telephone or email.

Tel: School Office 01474 365737

Email: senco@st-botolphs.kent.sch.uk.

According to the DfE SEN Code of Practice, SEN has four main areas:

Communication and Interaction

Children who have speech, language and communication difficulties which make it hard for them to understand language or how to communicate effectively and appropriately with others.

Cognition and Learning

Children who learn at a slower pace than others their age, have difficulty with organisation and memory skills, or have a specific difficulty affecting literacy or numeracy.

Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties

Children who have difficulty managing their relationships with other people, are withdrawn, or behave in ways that may hinder their and other’s learning, or that impact on their health and wellbeing.

Sensory and/or Physical Needs

Children with visual and/or hearing impairments, or a physical need that means they must have additional ongoing support and equipment.

Some children may have SEN that cover more than one of these areas.

Further Information

Please click on the button below to access our Special Educational Needs and Disability Policy: