Our school is a member of the Aletheia Anglican Academies Trust, which has overarching responsibility for a growing number of schools in North-West Kent. The Trust has constituted a Local Board of Governors for St Botolph’s. The Board has responsibility for the detailed oversight of all the school does.
Legally, the Board of Governors has three main responsibilities, which are to:
- Ensure the school has a clear vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Hold the school’s leaders to account for educational performance of pupils and the effectiveness of staff
- Check the school’s financial arrangements and make sure money is well spent.
As part of the above, governors:
- Set out a vision for the way the school should function and what it should achieve
- Support, and challenge the headteacher and her staff
- Check and discuss how well the school’s pupils are doing by looking carefully at test results and assessments
- Monitor the school’s plans for spending money and to make sure it is spent wisely and efficiently. This includes the appointment of staff, staff pay and pay rises
- Checking on the welfare of pupils and the school’s arrangements for safeguarding them
- Ensuring there is a broad and balanced curriculum which leads to good achievement in a wide range of subjects
- Encouraging cooperation with other schools, particularly those which are members of the Trust, se we share expertise and develop our staff
- Recruit governors and train governors so they bring the required range of understanding and skills to their work
Governors will always do their best to represent the interests of children, parents and the local community. Governors act as a Board and have no authority to act, communicate or make decisions individually, unless the Board has formally delegated the responsibility to do so. Governors have a duty to act fairly and without prejudice. In terms of their legal responsibilities for staff, they will fulfil all that is expected of a good employer. If it is necessary to consider complaints from parents or staff, they will follow the procedures set out by the Board.
We currently have a vacancy for a Parent Governor. For further details, please click here.